Hertfordshire Building Preservation Trust


Cromer Windmill


VISITING CROMER WINDMILL



Cromer Windmill will be open to the public for the 2017 season starting on Saturday 13th May from 2.30pm - 5pm 



Address: 
Cromer
Hertfordshire
SG2 7QE




Contact:

T: 01763 271305 
E: enquiries@cromerwindmill.co.uk

 

Groups by appointment.

 

Parking: 

Parking is free. Visitors are requested to park in the field directly opposite the mill.


Admission: 

A small charge is made which also covers a guided tour.


Toilets:

There are no toilets at the mill


Cromer Windmill – Hertfordshire’s sole surviving windmill and a grade II* listed building dates from 1681, as determined by a dendrochronological survey conducted in 1998. It stands on an artificial mound just outside Cromer, near Ardeley, in which parish a windmill has stood for nearly 800 years.  

 

Although blown over around 1860, Cromer Windmill was re-built and used until the 1920’s when milling by wind became uneconomic and the mill fell into disrepair. Apart from some repairs conducted in 1938 and sails having already been removed for safety, nothing further was done to the mill until an appeal in 1964 from concerned local people to save the windmill.


The recently formed Hertfordshire Building Preservation Trust then took on the mill as its first restoration project. The work was carried out in four phases at roughly ten year intervals as money was available. In 1998 the final phase saw shutters and striking gear fitted to the sails and the internal machinery rebuilt, bringing the mill back into virtually full working order. However, in 2014 the Trust had to embark on a second cycle of restoration by replacing the ladder and fantail, which at nearly 50 years old were at the ends of their lives. This phase was completed in April 2015.


Although grinding is not possible due to the proximity of the road, when the wind is right the sails will turn and the windmill comes to life

  

Photos of the latest restoration project from September 2014 - April 2015


Image description
Image description
Image description

Fantail before restoration

Fly post and cross beam joint before restoration

Removal of ladder & fantail September 2014

Image description
Image description
Image description

New fantail blades November 2014

New ladder November 2014

New ladder and fantail April 2015